What you need to know about K-ETA

  • Published
  • By Staff Sgt. Douglas Lorance
  • 51st Fighter Wing Public Affairs

As of Sept. 1, the Republic of Korea requires a Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) for entry and re-entry into the country. Registration through this system is now mandatory for foreign travelers attempting to gain entry into ROK using a passport from 66 visa-free travel countries including U.S. citizens.

USFK service members are exempt from this requirement and do not require a K-ETA registration, as their Common Access Card and official military orders authorize them for travel. However, it is strongly recommended that military members don’t get K-ETA “just in case”, as a pending K-ETA registration will prevent you from traveling even if you don’t need one.

Civilians not on military orders that are U.S. passport holders/SOFA travelers will need a K-ETA or a valid visa/SOFA stamp upon their first arrival in Korea. This includes dependents of military members regardless of whether or not they are covered by command sponsorship. If you already live in Korea and have a valid visa/SOFA stamp, you do not need K-ETA.

Be sure to complete your K-ETA registration several days ahead of travel. Individuals with a missing or pending K-ETA will not be allowed entry into Korea. A how to guide is proved on the Osan website here.

The official K-ETA registration is found at https://m.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do.

For passport holders from other countries, situations may vary. Check your requirements with the ROK government and your country’s current rules.

For more information, contact the passport office at 51FSS.passport@us.af.mil or check the Republic of Korea website entry requirements at  https://www.osan.af.mil/Newcomers/.